Tostones Rellenos (Stuffed Plantain Cups)
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 318 cals
- Heat canola oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Fry the plantains in the preheated oil until golden, but not brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Smash each piece of plantain in a tostonero or with the bottom of a small dish to make a small disk, then shape the disk into a small cup. Return the plantain cups to the hot oil, and fry until golden and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes more. Season with garlic salt. Set aside.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the ground beef. Season with salt. Cook and stir until the beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Drain and discard any excess grease. Stir in the sofrito, tomato sauce, water, sazon seasoning, and olives. Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer until liquid is reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Fill the plantain cups with the beef mixture and top with Cheddar cheese. Arrange the cups on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Editor's Note
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 318 calories; 21.7 g fat; 16 g carbohydrates; 16.1 g protein; 52 mg cholesterol; 1738 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This is definitely a crowd pleaser! Fill them with your favorite toppings or with nothing at all. I used the beef filling from the recipe except that I added a handful of golden raisins to it. M...
My husband is from Puerto Rico, and after eating so many delicious Puerto Rican meals, this recipe made my mouth water as I read it. Our 4 yr old daughters devoured this! I used Adobo to seaso...
This was delicious! I was crunched for time so I smashed all of the plantains in a glass baking dish, topped it with a beef, green onion, and cheese filling and baked for 10! It turned out great...