Mom's Spaghetti Bolognese
Ingredients1 h servings 451 cals
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Cook the spaghetti in the boiling water until cooked through yet firm to the bite, about 12 minutes; drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook the bacon in the oil until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir the onion, celery, carrot, and oregano into the bacon; continue cooking until the vegetables begin to soften, another 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Crumble the ground beef into the vegetable mixture; cook and stir until the beef is completely cooked and no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar over the ground beef mixture; allow to simmer until the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar into the ground beef mixture; bring the mixture to a boil, season with salt and black pepper, and remove from heat. Stir the fresh basil into the mixture.
- Ladle the sauce over the cooked spaghetti. Top with Parmesan cheese to serve.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 451 calories; 14 g fat; 59.8 g carbohydrates; 23.5 g protein; 43 mg cholesterol; 459 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 38
Too little of everything, and needs more time simmering the sauce. This recipe is okay for 6 people, but not for 8. I used less tomato paste and no bacon. You need to let the sauce simmer for ...
A really excellent recipe. I was skeptical about the basalmic but it really worked. My only addition was a splash of red wine at the end. Delicious a definite keeper.
Best Bolognese I've made!! The bacon was SO good in this, and even though totally unhealthy I loved how you drain none of the bacon grease! It made this so, well, bacony ;) I used some frozen...
This was excellent. I loved the bacon flavour. My husband loved this too. Thanks so much for sharing!
Not bad! I've been searching for a decent bolognese sauce for some time now. While not "knock your socks off good," this was by far the best bolognese I've ever made. I pretty much followed stef...
Wonderful Recipe ! I didn't have bacon, so I replaced it with diced turkey pastrami. Used turkey/pork sausage in place of hamburger and it was a fabulous dinner ! Thanks so much :)
This was an awesome dinner for my family. I made it a little differently though. We used whole wheat pene pasta instead of spaghetti and added 1/2 cup of red wine as well as the balsamic vin...
This is the best bolognese EVER! I didn't even have all the ingredients (I didn't have carrots and celery, so I added bell peppers and cubanela pepper instead... not that they have much in comm...