- Using oven mitts, heat the molcajete over the grill or stove.*
- Grill carne asada for five minutes.
- Add and grill chicken, nopales on one side for five minutes, turn over. Also, add jalapenos turning every two minutes to soften.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over meats. Add and grill chorizo and shrimp. Add green onions and rotate to cook on all sides, about two minutes.
- While meat cooks, slice the tomatoes, avocado and cheese into 1/2 inch wedges.
- Using oven mitts, pour half of the salsa into the heated molcajete.
- Remove the meats and slice in long, thin strips.
- Place the beef, chicken, shrimp, nopales, and cheese around the inside edge of the bowl. Add the chorizo to the center of the bowl. Add the tomatoes, green onions, avocados and jalapenos around the chorizo. Pour remaining salsa over ingredients.
- Place the cilantro over the nopales. Place limes on top, to be squeezed when served.
- Use small tortillas to serve.
- ALTERNATIVES: Use a souffle or crockery bowl in place of the molcajete. Using oven mittens, heat the salsa in a small bowl in a microwave.
- In place of the nopales, use zucchini and yellow squash, sliced 1/2 inch thick.
- *Always handle a heated molcajete with oven mitts
Per Serving: 446 calories; 21.9 29.8 28.9 93 1575 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I didn’t use the nopales or the molcajete because we couldn’t find nopales at the store and I only have one small molcajete that wouldn’t fit the quantity of food here. I have cooked with nopal...
I've had this EXACT dish at a Mexican restaurant in Madison Mississippi. I've been a Californian for 16 years and lived in Mississippi for 2 years. Let me tell you, the Mexican food here, diff...