Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 11 m servings 365 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place rice in a bowl with water to cover; soak for about 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine lamb, 1 can mushroom soup, 1 can tomatoes, red bell peppers, rice, onion, lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix the filling together with clean hands.
- Line the bottom of a 4-quart pot with a single layer of grape leaves.
- Place the remaining grape leaves on a flat work surface with smooth side down (ribs of leaves up). Place a rounded tablespoon of filling in the center of each grape leaf. Fold bottom sections of leaf over mixture, fold over sides, and roll toward the top of the leaf into a firm cylinder. Pack stuffed grape leaves tightly in the pot. Pour the remaining 2 cans mushroom soup, 1 can tomatoes, and any remaining filling mixture on top. Cover with a small plate to hold the leaves together.
- Cook, covered, on low, until rice is tender and lamb is no longer pink, about 1 hour. Remove from heat; let stand for 20 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Red or green bell peppers may be used.
- You may substitute ground beef for the ground lamb, if you prefer. While checking for doneness keep in mind meat will look red due to the tomatoes.
- You can also cook this in a slow cooker on Low for 5 hours. No plate needed to hold down the leaves.
Per Serving: 365 calories; 15.5 g fat; 41.9 g carbohydrates; 16.1 g protein; 38 mg cholesterol; 1827 mg sodium. Full nutrition