Chicken In the Yellow Bowl
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 570 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a heatproof glass mixing bowl or a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place flour in a resealable plastic zipper bag, and place 2 or 3 chicken pieces into the bag. Seal bag, and shake to coat chicken with flour. Tap off excess flour. Repeat to coat all chicken with flour.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat, and pan-fry the chicken until golden brown on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Fry in batches if necessary. Place the chicken pieces into the prepared dish. Mix the soups together in a bowl, and pour over the chicken. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken meat is no longer pink at the bone, the juices run clear, and the sauce is bubbling, about 1 hour. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into a thick chicken piece should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
- Cook's Note
- Use your choice of cream soups, such as cream of chicken, mushroom, celery, etc. This is the original recipe from Karen Inman given to me by her daughter Audrey who likes to skip the browning step. She puts raw chicken and soup in the bowl for an even easier version of this dish very successfully. Either way it comes out tender and delicious every time. Because of the high sodium content in the soup the gravy can be salty. Use low sodium soup as an alternative if desired. Traditionally served with mashed potatoes but certainly will go well with pasta or rice.
- Editor's Note
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the flour. The actual amount of the flour consumed will vary. We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 570 calories; 32.3 g fat; 29.3 g carbohydrates; 38.5 g protein; 132 mg cholesterol; 1746 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Just received this from someone else with the exception that it was made in a slow cooker/crock pot. Very Yummy.
This was soooo good!! It was super easy and convenient. Hardly any prep time, pop it in the oven and forget it until it's done. Came out very juicy and tender!
I made this in the slow cooker and didn't bother with the browning step. Came out moist and tender and with lots of delicious gravy which I served over mashed potatoes. Super easy.
I liked the flavor on this smothered chicken dish. I used boneless skinless breasts. It was great with mashed potatoes. DH liked it fine too but would have rather I stopped at the fried chicken ...