Japanese Wafu Burger
Ingredients45 m servings 307
- Place the block of tofu onto a plate and place another plate on top. Set a 3 to 5 pound weight on top (a container filled with water works well). Press the tofu for 10 to 15 minutes, then drain off and discard the accumulated liquid. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Combine the tofu, ground beef, shiitake mushrooms, miso paste, egg, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Divide into 6 balls, and flatten into patties.
- Stir together the mirin, soy sauce, garlic paste, and ginger in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the burgers on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to low; cover the pan and cook until the juices run clear, about 5 minutes. Drain and discard any excess grease.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture into the pan. Keep moving the pan so the sauce doesn't burn, and flip the burgers occasionally to coat both sides with the sauce. The sauce will thicken and create a shiny glaze on the burgers. When all the sauce has been used up, the burgers are ready.
Per Serving: 307 calories; 18.1 8.9 25.5 77 999 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
Nutritious and scrumptious! A hearty yet healthy approach to red meat with a hint of oriental flavoring that will satisfy the whole family.
Followed the recipe exactly...really good... I served it on top of an asian inspired green salad... great recipe for summer.
added chopped onions and panko bread crumbs, would be even better if you added some fresh garlic and more soy sauce or even ketchup to the sauce
Delicious! Both my 5 & 2 year olds ate small patties on hamburger buns. I recommend mashing the tofu rather than cutting it into 1/2" blocks if you want even distribution throughout the burger. ...
Nice change from the ordinary. I like the combo of beef and tofu...I left out the mushrooms though because it seemed like it would be a bit too heavy for my tastes. I made it with fried noodles ...
I made this last weekend, alongside some asparagus and butter-sauteed radishes as sides. I had a couple patties that didn't want to stay together, but the recipe came out fantastic. I would de...