Breezy Key Lime Pie with Strawberry Rhubarb Glaze
Ingredients9 h 5 m servings 834 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix together the vanilla wafer crumbs and butter in a bowl until thoroughly combined, and press the crust into the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch pie dish.
- Beat the sweetened condensed milk, Key lime juice, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and Key lime zest in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth; pour the filling into the prepared cookie crust.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven until center of pie is slightly jiggly, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then refrigerate.
- Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, water, and pectin in a saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Stirring often, boil until the rhubarb and berries break down and the glaze begins to thicken and resemble jam, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm. Glaze will thicken as it cools. Spread the glaze over the pie, and refrigerate until chilled. For best texture, allow pie to chill at least 8 hours before serving.
- Cook's Notes
- For an even easier preparation, you can use bottled Key lime juice, instead of squeezing it fresh. You can also simply warm a jar of strawberry-rhubarb jam in the microwave and spread that over the finished pie if you don't want to make your own glaze, or if fresh fruit is unavailable.
- Save egg whites for another use. You can substitute strawberry-flavored gelatin for the pectin, if you prefer.
Per Serving: 834 calories; 29.4 g fat; 133.3 g carbohydrates; 13.2 g protein; 198 mg cholesterol; 370 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I have mixed feelings about this recipe, but as its first reviewer I’m happy to report that in the end it turned out delicious. First, 3 cups of crumbs was way off. I used half that and it worke...