Mom's Two-Crust Potato Pie
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 588 cals
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two. Mash the potatoes with 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup milk, salt, and black pepper to make medium-stiff mashed potatoes; stir in the American cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Fit a crust into a 9-inch pie dish, and fill with the potato mixture. Place the top crust on the pie, roll the edges together and crimp with a fork to seal. Stir the melted butter and 2 teaspoons of milk together in a small bowl, and brush the mixture all over the pie crust. Cut several vent holes in the top of the crust.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown, about 45 minutes; if the edges are getting too brown, wrap them in aluminum foil.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 588 calories; 32.3 g fat; 65.3 g carbohydrates; 10.6 g protein; 34 mg cholesterol; 534 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I love this! I used cheddar instead of American cheese and added bacon. I like that you can add other ingredients without compromising the entire recipe. Even my picky 4-yr-old ate it, which def...
Tasty. I made mini pies. Easy way to spruce up leftover mashed potatoes. Thanks!
I sautéed a white onion and half a red onion added garlic and onion spices (clubhouse) finely chopped carrots, minced red and yellow peppers and 700grams of marble cheddar cheese. I used a swee...
Added bacon and green onions to the mashed potatoes. I didn't have cheddar so I used mozzarella cheese - next time I'd like to try it with cheddar.