Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 343 cals
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in the milk, stirring constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon. Add the salt and nutmeg, stirring occasionally, until mixture is bubbly and thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mash the feta cheese with a fork in a bowl and stir in the grated kefalotiri, beaten eggs, and parsley. Pour in the hot white sauce and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Line the buttered baking dish with a sheet of phyllo dough and brush it with melted butter; keep the remaining phyllo sheets covered with plastic wrap while you work. Repeat with half of the phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter, and letting them come up the sides of the baking dish. Pour in the cheese filling.
- Lay the remaining pastry sheets on top of the filling, brushing each with butter. Brush the top of the last sheet with butter and, with a sharp knife, score the top sheets into strips about 3 inches wide from one end of the baking dish to the other.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pastry is golden brown and crisp, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then cut into squares and serve hot.
Per Serving: 343 calories; 25.1 g fat; 18.3 g carbohydrates; 11.3 g protein; 119 mg cholesterol; 821 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
Excellent as is! Easy to make, even for someone who has never used phyllo dough. Made as a dish to take to my son's elementary class for their Greek studies unit and all the kids loved it! Th...
AUTHENTIC! This is a AUTHENTIC recipe..many are not.. you can also use ALL FETA with the same other ingredients ..the Kefalori cheese is Not easy to find but using all feta is also traditional...
This is a really wonderful and impressive dish. Served a s a main for vegetarians with greek salad and as a side for omnivores with steak added. I could see adding to this dish with spinach, oni...
Fabulous! I usually get this at a local Greek church festival but I haven't had it since I moved. This is an amazing recipe. I will only make a few very minor changes in the future: I will omit ...
My husband made this for my birthday dinner and it was AWESOME. I love getting Tiropita at our local Greek Festival and these were spot on!!!