Ingredients19 h 45 m servings 281 cals
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking and stirring until the onion is very tender and dark brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Layer half the potatoes on the bottom of a slow cooker. Add the cooked onions and rice; top with the remaining potatoes and beets.
- Nestle the eggs into the mixture: they should be almost completely submerged when you add the water.
- Mix the garlic powder and seasoned salt into 1 cup of water. Pour over the cholent. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Add water to cover. Too much water will make your cholent mushy; not enough may cause it to burn.
- Cover with the lid and set your slow cooker on low; cook overnight.
- Cook's Note
- The cooking time will vary according to the intensity of heat in your slow cooker. Because the rice will absorb a majority of the water, the potatoes and beets (which lose their red) near the surface may appear burnt.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 281 calories; 9.9 g fat; 41.3 g carbohydrates; 7.3 g protein; 82 mg cholesterol; 509 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I was looking to make a veggie cholent this week and wanted to use bets so I was happy to see this. I think I am going to try wheatberries instead of rice and I might add butternut squash - I h...