German Christmas Nougatkugeln (Nougat Balls)
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 101 cals
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over just-barely simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching. Remove the bowl from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder. Use a wire whisk to break up lumps. Mix in the vanilla and coffee. Stir in the nuts, and, if necessary, add additional coffee to make the mixture smooth. The mixture should be fairly thick.
- Allow the mixture to cool enough to handle. Shape the mixture into 1/2- to 3/4-inch diameter balls. Dip the balls into the melted chocolate. Chill until firm.
- Cook's Notes
- These make a great addition to the Christmas cookie tray. I usually add about a tablespoon rum (reducing the coffee) and serve them to my adult friends for evening get-togethers.
- Other variations: substitute 1 cup finely ground unblanched almonds for the hazelnuts. Or substitute 1 cup semisweet chocolate or imported truffle chocolate, ground medium-fine, for the nuts.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 101 calories; 5.4 g fat; 13.9 g carbohydrates; 1.2 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 1 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
The ground hazelnuts smelled so divine when I opened the package of Hazelnut Flour from Italy. I substituted granulated sugar for confectioners' and added 1 T of corn starch, knowing that it may...
Yes, this recipe was messy, but the results were worth the mess. I followed the recipe exactly as stated, except that my coffee was room temperature. I used a breakfast blend and it gives it j...