Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 336 cals
Original recipe yields 24 servings (2 dozen)
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin pans for 24 cookies.
- Combine the honey, sugar, butter, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar and butter are melted and the mixture is hot but not boiling. Transfer to a mixing bowl and cool.
- Sift together the 4 cups plus 1 tablespoon of flour, 5 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and the baking powder.
- When the milk mixture has cooled, stir in the eggs, lemon zest or extract, the flour and cocoa mixture, and the ground cardamom, mace, cloves, and cinnamon. Fold in the 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon currants, the 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped almonds, and the 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped citron.
- Fill the muffin cups 1/2 full with the batter. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine the apricot jam and the 2 tablespoons of water in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat. When the cookies have cooled, brush them with the warm jam mixture.
- Sift the confectioners' sugar with the 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Add just enough hot water to give the glaze a good coating consistency. Pour the glaze over the cookies. When the glaze has dried completely, pack the cookies in airtight containers.
- Editor's Note
- Fourteen ounces of honey is 1 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons.
- Cook's Note
- In place of the lemon zest, you can use two tablespoons of lemon essence (extract).
Per Serving: 336 calories; 7.1 g fat; 67.6 g carbohydrates; 4.5 g protein; 32 mg cholesterol; 126 mg sodium. Full nutrition