Ingredients3 h 50 m servings 546 cals
- Season both sides of roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat 1 minute. Add roast; cook 5 minutes on each side, or until browned on both sides. Remove from pan; cover to keep warm. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onion, carrot and celery to same pan; cook 5 minutes, or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes with their liquid and broth; stir in all the browned bits from bottom of pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Return roast to pan. Cover pan with lid; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 3 to 3-1/2 hours, or until roast is fork tender. Remove roast from pan; let stand 10 minutes before portioning.
- Serve half of roast and sauce for this meal. Use the remaining roast to make Pulled Barbecue Beef Sandwiches and the remaining sauce to make Tuscan-style Penne Pasta.
- Cook's Tips
- Try serving the roast and sauce over hot cooked egg noodles.
Per Serving: 546 calories; 38.7 g fat; 10.8 g carbohydrates; 37.5 g protein; 137 mg cholesterol; 1116 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
I have made this twice now. First time, I followed the recipe exactly, and it was really good. Second time, I made some additions. I added a bunch of minced garlic, dried oregano, and parsley...
This was very good. However, I was lazy and just added all the ingredients into the crock pot and let it cook all day. I didn't do any of the browning. I served it over mashed potatoes. Even m...
Hubby said keep this recipe!!!!!! I needed a recipe for a chuck roast I had and I ran across this one and thought I'd give it a try since I had most of the ingredients in the house. I was out of...
This was a great way to cover multiple meals! I had an extremely busy schedule, so I quickly threw everything in the slow cooker. I used two carrots instead of one because I like carrots. My r...
Delish! I am not a fan of the crockpot and this is right there. I prefer the stovetop method. I did use regular tomatoes and added fresh herbs instead. The only thing I added was garlic but that...
This is a great recipe. The only changes I made were to add minced garlic and I used chicken broth because that is what I had on hand. The broth is so good. My kids had seconds. Thanks for shari...
LOVE LOVE LOVE! We have made this several times now. We usually skip the celery (or just do a bag mix of frozen diced celery, carrots, & onions) and add in some cubed potatoes. We usually don'...