Curried Celery-Apple Soup with Shiitake
Ingredients50 m servings 163
- Using a mortar and pestle, smash the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt into a paste.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic paste, miso paste, cumin, curry powder, celery seed, black pepper, 1 tablespoon sea salt, celery, and apple to the skillet; cook and stir until the celery is slightly softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spoon about half the apple and celery mixture into a blender along with the chicken broth. Hold the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the mixture moving before leaving it on to puree. Pour into a stockpot over medium heat along with the remaining mixture from the skillet, keeping some of the drippings in the skillet.
- Place the skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken in the drippings until completely browned, about 5 minutes. Pour the water into the skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Pour entire contents of skillet into the stockpot along with the shiitake mushrooms. Simmer the soup until the mushrooms have softened, about 20 minutes. Stir the balsamic vinegar and truffle oil into the soup to serve.
- Cook's Note
- To make garlic paste, peel garlic cloves, and using a chef's knife, smack garlic cloves with the flat of the blade to smash. Mince until you can't make the pieces any smaller. Scrape garlic into a small pile and sprinkle on a large pinch of kosher or sea salt to add traction and break down the garlic. Using the side of your knife, push down and slide the knife over the salted garlic bits, crushing them with the flat of the knife. Repeat until garlic breaks down to paste-like consistency.
Per Serving: 163 calories; 4.9 19.9 12.3 30 915 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Surprisingly good! I was looking for a recipe that wasn't the usual miso soup in order to use up some miso, and this was it. The combination of apple/celery/shiitake is interesting, but it works...
To the commenter above who said there wasn't enough water: did you add an entire head of celery or just one stalk? Celery is mostly water, and when blended with the chicken broth and apple, it a...
I think this recipe is missing a couple of things. One, it is soup that is supposed to serve 10, but it only calls for 1 1/4 cup water. With the miso, the salt, and all the spices, it turns ou...