Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 641 cals
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Place the bread slices onto baking sheets in a single layer. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, then turn the bread over, and continue baking until golden brown on the other side as well, about 15 minutes. Remove, and allow the bread to cool. Once cool, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in the sausage. Cook and stir until the sausage is crumbly no longer pink. Stir in the butter, onion, and celery; continue cooking until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a large mixing bowl, and stir in the mushrooms, olives, garlic, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir in half of the bread cubes until evenly blended, then stir in the beaten egg with the remaining bread cubes. Pack into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crispy and golden brown on top, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Notes
- When stuffing turkey, I like to over-stuff and have it overflowing and when I baste the turkey I baste the stuffing as well to insure not drying out. About 1 hour before finished I stick the baster in the center of the stuffing and squeeze, giving the stuffing some of the turkey flavors as well. When cooking extra in the oven, place the stuffing in a buttered casserole dish, and place in a pan of hot water. Cover, and baste with turkey drippings occasionally. It comes out really good.
- As a substitute you could also use Italian Olive bread instead of wheat bread or try sour dough; it comes out very delicious.
Per Serving: 641 calories; 48 g fat; 38.9 g carbohydrates; 14.3 g protein; 110 mg cholesterol; 1428 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Great flavor! I added walnuts, and some chicken stock..also used fresh sage and thyme instead of poultry seasoning. I loved the olive flavor in it!
Great recipe! I loved the addtion of the mushrooms and olives to a standard stuffing recipe. I did add about a cup of chicken stock to up the moistness of the dressing. I will definitely make th...
My neice makes this recipe for stuffing on thanksgiving every year and there is never left overs everyone eats it up its so good! ( Believe it or not even the kids!)
This is the best tasting stuffing ever!!!!!I did just exactly the way it was, no changes!!! My husband is raving about this stuffing!!!!!!!
This is a very good stuffing. Needs very little tweaking for my family. Would make again when something different is wanted. Good job!