Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients40 m servings 226
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Soak masoor dal in 4 cups water; swish with your hands to clean. Drain; repeat twice.
- Combine onion and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan over medium-low heat; simmer until water is absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes. Add oil and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add bebere powder; cook and stir for 3 minutes more.
- Mix tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water into onion-spice mixture; bring to a boil. Add masoor dal and carrots; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed to maintain a soupy consistency, until carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini; cook and stir until lentils are tender, about 5 minutes more. Add salt to taste.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Masoor dal (red lentils) and berbere powder are available at Indian grocers and online.
- You can also make your own Berbere (Ethiopian Spice).
Per Serving: 226 calories; 11.3 24.6 8.2 0 506 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This is very good. It cooked up in the time written, but I soaked the lentils for about a half hour. I made my own berbere mix that was light on cloves and fenugreek. Thank you for the recipe.