Ingredients55 m servings 520 cals
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Place the red bell pepper onto the preheated grill, and grill until the skin is completely charred on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Place the pepper into a paper bag, seal the bag, and let the pepper cool. When cooled, remove the charred skin, slice the pepper into quarters, and remove the seeds. Thinly slice the pepper and set aside.
- Mix salt and pepper into the olive oil in a small bowl. Brush the smooth side of the mushrooms with the seasoned oil, and grill, oiled side down, until the mushrooms show grill marks, about 3 minutes. Brush the gill sides of the mushrooms with more seasoned olive oil, flip the mushrooms, and grill until the mushrooms are softened and juicy, about 3 more minutes. Set the mushrooms aside and keep warm.
- Lightly grill the slices of onion until softened and lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Spread the rolls out onto the grill to toast, about 1 minute. Mix the mayonnaise and roasted garlic in a bowl.
- Spread each roll with garlic mayonnaise, and make each sandwich with 1 mushroom cap, 1 ounce sliced mozzarella cheese, 1 slice of tomato, 4 basil leaves, 1 slice of grilled onion, and 1/4 the roasted red pepper slices. Repeat for remaining sandwiches.
- Editor's Note
- The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of oil used to brush the mushrooms. The actual amount of oil used and consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 520 calories; 38.8 g fat; 32 g carbohydrates; 12.7 g protein; 24 mg cholesterol; 295 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 23
I combined the olive oil , several cloves of minced fresh garlic, salt and pepper together and brushed it onto the portobellos. I guess the above mixture was a brush-on marinade. I put the porto...
Unbelieveable! Restaurant quality. I roasted a yellow pepper (only thing I had) and used one side of an everything bagel (again, only thing I had) and it was unbelieveable!! Didn't change any...
Did some shopping yesterday and found some really nice portobello's and with nearly all other ingredients on hand, decided to give this recipe a try. I used thinly sliced red onion, a bit of gar...
Very good recipe! I would use a very large pepper or at least two small ones since the one we used was a little too small and would triple up on the mayonnaise/garlic sauce since the teaspoons ...
Excellent....used vidalia onion that I grilled with the red peppers. Fresh basil is key and nice ripe tomatoes...I ate mine bunless for carb reasons...fork and knifed it...lol...I also omitted t...
Amazing! This recipe deserves its great reviews thats for sure. I grilled some onions and red bell peppers together and added some of the balsamic glaze. It was absolutely fantastic. For an e...
Excellent...I had this in a restaurant once and wanted to try it myself. I did mix some fresh minced garlic in the the oil to baste the mushrooms, and used pepperjack cheese. My husband was maki...
This was so delectable it convinced me to cook more vegetarian foods which is honestly something I never thought I'd hear myself say.