Squash and Kohlrabi Empanadas
Ingredients1 h servings 308
- Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and ginger; cook and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in kohlrabi, and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until kohrabi has softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Toss in yellow squash and continue to cook until squash is tender for 4 more minutes. Stir in the green onion, spinach, and nutmeg. Add more salt and pepper, as needed. Cook until the spinach has wilted, about 1 minutes. Set mixture aside to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Beat the egg with water in a small bowl; set aside.
- Roll out the pie crust by running a rolling pin over it once or twice. Cut out about 16 6-inch circles using a large cookie cutter or cereal bowl. Fill the center of each circle with about 1 tablespoon of the kohlrabi mixture. Brush the edges of the pastry with water, then fold the dough in half. Crimp the edge of the dough with a fork to seal, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pastry and vegetable filling. Prick each empanada with a fork, then brush with the egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and flaky, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve hot from the oven.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 308 calories; 20.1 27.7 5.4 27 286 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
I used acorn squash...yellow would have been much soupier...so had to cook it longer. It was very, very good. I look forward to trying other veggies. But this mix of gold and green was beautiful...
My modifications: when sauteing the garlic and ginger I added half a yellow cooking onion, diced, and then omitted the green onion called for later. I used closer to a sprinkling of nutmeg than ...
Not too bad. I did do some alterations: Added Mushrooms and red pepper flakes. Make sure to have the mixture really cooled! I put mine in the freezer for 20 min, because I tried to go right from...
I made the empanada dough from scratch (and had to bake these longer as a result), but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. The filling is delicious! I may make these again, but if I do, we'll...
I made the recipe as-is, but there is no way to get 16 empanadas out of this... I used the Pillsbury brand for the pie crust; rolling them to stretch it out made these savoury pastries rip and t...
This was delicious and pretty easy to make. Lots of yummy veggies in a cute little pocket.
I made these as the recipe stated, I just made them double size so I had to bake a little longer. Everyone loved them. Excellent blend of flavors. Great way to use my fresh squash and kohl...
This is amazing! I usually bypass recipes with little reviews but something told me to try. I AM glad I did. The only thing I did different was I deglazed the pan with vegetable stock. It's so g...