Erin's Canadian Fried Dough
Ingredients2 h 30 m servings 290
- Place the milk, egg, salt, sugar, butter, flour, and yeast into a bread machine in that order. Start the machine's Dough cycle.
- Once the dough cycle has completed, remove the dough from the bread machine to a lightly floured surface. Cover with a large mixing bowl, and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Divide the dough into 10 balls, then flatten, and gently stretch into 8x6-inch ovals (a beaver tail shape.)
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cook the dough one or two at a time in the hot oil until lightly browned on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar to serve.
- Editor's Note
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 290 calories; 11.3 41 5.8 24 201 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
This is a FANTASTIC recipe. The secret to make it perfect is: Form and freeze the dough pieces about half the size as you want the final piece. When you thaw them to room temp and let them rest ...
Very good and they are just like the Great Canadian Beaver tail that you get in Ottawa on the Rideau canal. My boys and their friends gobbled them up fresh - really, the only way to eat them. My...
EH! As an Ottawa native these are the best homemade i have ever had! i like these better than rightt on the Canal because they don't freeze up as fast! a great variation for this shape is the ...
Really wonderful! I made these with my Home Ec class and they were a HIT! As our deep fryer is a smaller 'home' one, this batch made more than 10. The key is knowing how thick to make them so ...
Perfect just like at country fairs. My kids like butter, cinnamon and sugar, and conf. sugar. WTH how many times does one have such a treat! Make sure oil is perfect temp and each side does not ...
Sooooooooooooo good. Def the recipe I will use from here on out!
My husband made this tonight and it was the best fried dough recipe we've tried. We have gone through about 4 different kinds. We used it for Pizza as well! YUM! Love using our bread machine to ...