Ingredients2 h servings 774
- Preheat an oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line the bottom of a 10-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color. Add the room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond meal, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Gently fold it into the butter mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 90 to 120 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, combine the lemon juice and superfine sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat.
- Remove the cake from the oven and use a skewer or toothpick to prick holes in the cake. Pour the lemon syrup over the surface. Allow the cake to cool in the pan completely before serving.
- Editor's Note
- If you can't find almond meal, grind raw almonds in a food processor. One pound of almonds will yield approximately 5 cups of almond meal.
Per Serving: 774 calories; 41.9 86.7 23.5 163 409 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I made my own almond meal using raw almonds and coarse polenta instead of fine cornmeal, but otherwise followed the cake recipe exactly, and baked it in a 10" springform pan. The result was a de...
Great recipe, great cake! It is super simple to make and delicious to eat. Instead of 8 servings, I followed the recipe for 2 servings baked in an 8" round pan. This amount will easily serve 6 p...
I made it for a concert picnic. In my haste to get out the door, grabbed the cake from the oven and forgot the syrup. It was still SOOOO delish and a hit with our crowd. Served with slightly ...