Traditional Shoofly Pie
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 280
- Place pie crusts in 9 inch pie pans. Chill the crusts approximately 1 hour before use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, stir together the baking soda and warm water. Mix in the molasses and stir until foamy. Transfer the mixture to the pie crusts.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar and baking soda. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture until very fine crumbs have formed. Sprinkle the crumbs over the molasses mixture in the pie crusts.
- Bake in the preheated oven 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking 35 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned and the filling has set.
Per Serving: 280 calories; 10.5 43.8 3 8 263 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
ooohhh my! this is fantastic. I hadn't had this since I was a kid and WOW it is just as I remember. YUM
This is almost exactly my grandmother's recipe but I put it into one pie plate rather than 2 and use an additional tablespoon of shortening. I make it the way I remember my grandmother doing it...
in the past i've enjoyed eating shoofly pies which were made by the amish & pennsylvania dutch. a simple, no frills pie, this recipe comes pretty close to how i remember them tasting. note: we p...
I made these pies exactly by the recipe and they didn't turn out right. The molasses filling was fine but the topping was dry and dusty and didn't brown well. I will try again but either use l...