Ingredients3 h 20 m servings 355 cals
- Place water, milk, vanilla extract, brown sugar, white sugar, cardamom, coriander, vegetable oil, and salt into the pan of a bread machine in that order. Pour the flour onto the other ingredients, and sprinkle the flour with yeast. Set the bread machine to the Dough cycle; turn on the machine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x5-inch bread pan.
- When the Dough cycle is completed, remove the dough from the machine, punch down if necessary, form into a loaf, and place into the prepared bread pan with the seam side down. Cover and let rise until doubled, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the loaf is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to finish cooling on a rack.
- Cook's Notes
- We've been making a lot of this since I first invented it about a year ago. We experimented a lot with multiple parameters and we found the following to be very important:
- Use DARK brown sugar. Light brown sugar isn't as good.
- You can use oil or butter, but there's no discernible difference and since oil is cheaper, we use oil.
- High-gluten flour makes for a more satisfying loaf, but you can use normal flour. Or add a little extra gluten yourself.
- Finally, for a softer loaf replace all the water with milk (for a final milk volume of 1 1/4 cup milk).
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 355 calories; 6.1 g fat; 64.4 g carbohydrates; 9.3 g protein; 2 mg cholesterol; 498 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 24
I took the submitter's advice and used all milk and used AP flour. I made this by hand with my Kitchen Aid mixer. I proofed the yeast in my mixer bowl with the warmed milk and sugars for ten min...
YUMMY! I went ahead and just baked it in the bread machine because, well, I am lazy :D I did make a few changes, but they weren't major. I only had light brown sugar, so I used that instead o...
I made this bread by hand. I omitted the white sugar and added 3 T honey. I used all milk, light brown sugar and all purpose flour. To knead the dough I had to add an additional 1/2 cup of flou...
Made this recipe last night and it is fantastic! I used cinnamon instead of coriander and let it bake in the bread machine and it came out perfect! I know this bread will be gone by the end of t...
This bread was so warm and comforting. I flavor of the vanilla and spices were very subtle, but really made a huge impact. I used soy milk instead of real milk because my husband is allergic to ...
Delicious! I love love love the subtle spiced flavor of this recipe and the texture was lovely. I was concerned about not having any dark brown sugar, so I added a teaspoon of molasses to my lig...
WOW! Great bread. I did increase some spices - cardamom to 1/4 teaspoon and coriander to almost 1/2 teaspoon. This bread makes wonderful french toast!
i love cardamom and vanilla, but i had never tried coriander in a sweet recipe. the use of it in this recipe really interested me, and i was really glad i tried it! this bread is delicious. alth...