Mexican Mole Poblano Inspired Chili
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 376
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Stir in onions, green peppers, green chilies, and garlic. Cook and stir until onions are soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the stew meat to the pot, cook until well browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the chili power, cumin, basil, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick into the pot. Cook and stir until spices are aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes, beef broth, and beer into the pot; stir in the tomato paste. Bring chili to a simmer and cook until beef is very tender and the liquids have thickened, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Mix the chili beans and chocolate into the chili. Simmer until the chocolate has melted and the chili is hot, 5 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook's Note
- This recipe calls for the use of beer. It can be replaced with an equivalent volume of broth. If beer is used, I recommend a beer low in hop flavor with a smooth malt flavor. A porter or dry stout would be just fine.
Per Serving: 376 calories; 20.7 24.7 24.2 63 660 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I would give this five stars, but I just thought the beer flavor was to strong. At least for me. I would make it again with about 1/2 the amount of beer. The beef was very tender, and the cho...
I was looking for a chili recipe that had both chocolate and cinnamon in the ingredients list. This is the one I chose. I heard that these ingredients were the secret to winning a chili cookoff....