Moravian Sugar Coffee Cake
Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 262 cals
- Place potatoes and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup water, and mash. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place mashed potatoes, reserved water, salt, sugar, mace, 1/2 cup butter, egg, flour and yeast in the pan of a bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
- Pat dough onto a greased 11x13 inch baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine the dark brown sugar, cinnamon, and chilled butter in a food processor and pulse until butter is the size of coarse crumbs.
- Poke several medium holes in the dough and fill with brown sugar and butter. Sprinkle the dough with a few drops of evaporated milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cake's edges are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per Serving: 262 calories; 12.1 g fat; 35.7 g carbohydrates; 3.6 g protein; 41 mg cholesterol; 156 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
My family is from the Winston-Salem area of NC. My great grandmother used to make this. It has been one of my favorite treats since I was little. Now my mom makes sure she brings me some back ...
I am not sure what exactly went wrong with this recipe, but it did not work out well at all. The dough rose out of control. There are several things that appear to have been incorrect: too mu...
This terrific coffee cake is easy (using a bread machine), and feeds a Hungry Herd Happily! ;] Don't forget to save the leftover potatoe water cause you'll be making a second batch before this o...
I'm from Winston-Salem, too, and grew up with always having Dewey's sugar cake on Christmas morning. I've also worked in Old Salem and am quite familiar with the Moravian sugar cake from the woo...