Ingredients2 h 40 m servings 627
- Rinse the beef and pat dry. Crush the garlic cloves into a paste and combine it with the crushed ginger. Add the vinegar, salt, pepper, roasted curry powder, and cayenne. Mix in the beef cubes and toss to coat. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the curry leaves and pandan strips. Stir in the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the beef cubes and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, and cloves. Add the tomato paste and water and mix well.
- Simmer, covered, on low heat for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Check the curry every half hour; you may need to add more water (up to 1 cup) if the curry is too dry and is sticking to the pan.
- Add the coconut milk and heat through. Taste and adjust the seasonings before serving.
- Editor's Note
- Roasted curry powder is available from specialty purveyors or online sources. To roast your own curry powder, heat 1 tablespoon of curry powder in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and slightly browned. Immediately transfer the spice to a bowl to cool.
- Partner Tip
- Try using a Reynolds® slow cooker liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 627 calories; 45.1 7.5 46.7 148 729 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 22
A great curry! I followed the recipe to the letter, most of my meals are curry, this one was spot on.
I'm Sri Lankan, this curry is as authentic as they come. If you don't have canned tomato you can sustitute chopped fresh tomato instead.
Fabulous recipe!! Excellent. I only alter it by reducing the cayenne a bit. This is defiantly a family favorite. Thanks for sharing it.
Perfection. I am a 20 year plus cook of Indian and Sri Lankan food and this recipe is superb. Since I used a very inexpensive beef cut, I did marinate the 3lbs of beef with 1/2 cup of dry r...
This curry was amazing! I let it cook a little longer to soften the beef a little more. The flavours as written are so good. Thanks for the recipe!
update 6/16: I've made this recipe several times and always with great results. Highly recommended and well received by many guests of varying familiarity/comfort with curry. I continue to om...
This is a great easy recipe. The only thing I couldn't find was the pandan leaf but it was great without it.