Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 406 cals
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Arrange cod in a single layer in a large baking dish; set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and light golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Gradually whisk warm milk into the flour mixture and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in white Cheddar cheese, then mix onion, spinach, salt, and black pepper into the sauce.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in garlic. If sauce is too thick, stir in more warm milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Pour sauce over fish in baking dish.
- Layer mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then sprinkle with yellow Cheddar cheese. Continue baking until fish is easily flaked with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 406 calories; 23.2 g fat; 21.1 g carbohydrates; 28.5 g protein; 100 mg cholesterol; 991 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
Great recipe. Very tasty. I sliced my potatoes instead of mashing them. Turned out beautifully. I also added some shrimp and scallops too make it a bit special, but it isn't really necessary...
Lovely recipe. I also put in peas instead of the spinach and added in some cayenne pepper, and it turned out great.
Very good recipe,I switched up the spinach for sweet pea since my husband being English prefers it to spinach. I have made this before without the onion and garlic this adds a nice flavour:)
I cooked haddock and salmon beforehand and cooked the pie in the oven for 30 mins. I also used spring onion as well as white onion and it tasted AMAZING! Even my fussy child ate it along with my...
I made it with peas instead of spinach. It turned out delicious! I'll definitely make this again! I also used a haberano cheese on top of the mashed potatoes instead of orange cheddar. And in ad...
This was amazing! So full of flavor. This will definitely be added to our meal routine!
Enjoyed this fish recipe a lot! I adapted it to non-dairy by eliminating butter and using almond milk instead of cows milk. Divided between two dishes and used spinach in one and peas in the ot...