Bill Wood's Juicy Pigs
Ingredients4 h 35 m servings 589 cals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven until it shimmers, and sear the beef and pork roasts on all sides until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Pour the water over the meat, cover, and cook in the preheated oven for 2 hours. Uncover the Dutch oven, and remove and discard the bones from the beef roast. With a spoon or spatula, loosen the browned flavor bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Mix together the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the ketchup mixture over the meat, stir to combine with the browned flavor bits, and cover the Dutch oven.
- Reduce oven heat to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C), and cook for 2 more hours. Shred the meat with 2 forks, pile each bun with about 1/3 cup meat and sauce, and garnish with onion and pickles to taste.
- Cook's Note
- For 35 to 40 people, I use 7 1/2 pounds of beef and 3 3/4 pounds of pork.
Per Serving: 589 calories; 34 g fat; 33.7 g carbohydrates; 35.9 g protein; 123 mg cholesterol; 975 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
Very good recipe! I made it as stated, but there is so much you can do with this base to personalize to your own liking. But the cooking directions, perfect... I wouldn't change a thing! Defi...
Followed it exactly as the recipe called for......Great flavor just as it is! Thank you for sharing....I had creamy cloeslaw on the side and it was also delicious added to the sandwhich!
I had to half the recipe, but it turned out wonderfully. The meat came out moist and tender, perfect for piling on a fresh roll. I will most definitely be making this again!
This was good but I thought it needed a little bit of sweetener so I added about 1/4 cup of brown sugar to add the oomph we needed. Pot roast is $5 a pound here so I would be inclined to make t...
Threw the whole works into the crockpot on high for six hours. Let it cool, strained the fat off, shredded the meat and put it back into the juices to reheat. Everyone agreed that this was fan...