Siopao (Filipino Steamed Buns)
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 153
Original recipe yields 16 servings
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together in a large bowl. Add water and 1/4 cup oil; mix into a dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, at least 10 minutes. Dust with extra flour if necessary.
- Warm up the oven for 1 minute. Turn oven off.
- Oil a large bowl; place dough inside and cover with cheesecloth. Place in the warmed oven until size has doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Keep in the oven until risen, at least 15 minutes more. Knead dough onto a flat work surface and divide into 12 golf-sized balls. Roll out each ball and fill with choice of filling (see footnote for my chicken and pork filling). Gather and twist the edges together to secure the filling.
- Place each siopao on a 3x3-inch piece of wax paper.
- Place siopao in a steamer and steam for 30 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- To fill the buns, place the chicken and pork filling over the flattened dough balls. Gather and twist edges together to secure the filling. Place each siopao on an 8-inch square of waxed paper. Repeat until all dough is finished. Steam in a steamer until siopao are puffy and hot, about 30 minutes.
- My recipe for chicken and pork filling for siopao:
- Siopao Chicken and Pork Filling
Per Serving: 153 calories; 4 26.3 2.9 0 74 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1