Black Bean Soup with Rice and Sherry
Ingredients16 h servings 436
- Place beans in a large bowl and cover with several inches of water. Let soak 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans and place in a large pot over medium heat with beef broth, chicken broth, ham hock, onion, carrot, parsley, garlic and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 6 to 8 hours.
- Strain soup into a large saucepan, reserving bean mixture. Remove ham hock and discard. Puree bean mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir into reserved broth. Cook over low heat 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the last 20 minutes of cooking, bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into six bowls. Top with cooked rice, a spoonful of sherry and a sprinkling of red onion.
Per Serving: 436 calories; 9.3 66 19.8 26 682 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This is the BEST Black Bean Soup I have ever had! If it was like eating gruel your beans were probably not thoroughly cooked. Excellent recipe and thanks for sharing.
Excellent! I've tried many bean soup recipes but this is the best!