Ingredients2 h 45 m servings 277
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a rimmed baking sheet or jellyroll pan with foil.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and sugar with an electric mixer in until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color. Add the room-temperature egg and beat well. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Gradually stir into butter mixture until fully combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until top springs back when touched lightly with a finger, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine condensed milk, golden syrup, and 1/4 cup butter. Whisk 1/4 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon flour; stir into milk mixture. Cook and stir until butter is melted and sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Spread over cooled cake. Allow to cool completely and set.
- Frost when set with chocolate frosting. Cut into bars and serve.
- Editor's Notes:
- Lyle's Golden Syrup is a thick sugar cane syrup, available at specialty markets, some grocery stores, and online.
- Instead of chocolate frosting, you could glaze the cake with chocolate ganache or a pourable chocolate icing.
Per Serving: 277 calories; 13.4 38.4 2.6 34 139 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I would NOT recommend this recipe!! I made sure to follow the directions exactly but it was a disaster. The "cake" was very thin and dry. The topping never set and it was a gooey, not very good ...
All I can say is that you must try this cake. We all loved it!
Cake was too dry and topping never firmed up even though I did put it in the fridge.
I thought this receipt was very good. My filling wasn't setting either so I put the cake in the fridge for an hour and it set up beautiful. I was then able to add the frosting with no gooey me...