made it | 0 reviews |
"This is a take on alcapurrias or empanadas de yuca, yuca and meat fritters. This is a little easier than making and cooking individually stuffed yuca patties, but just as tasty. I included a recipe for sofrito, but you could use store bought if you're in a hurry. This sofirto will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks or freeze for longer."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 313 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 9-inch pie)
- Place aji dulces peppers, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, onion, olives, cilantro, Cubanelle pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, capers, 1 tablespoon black pepper, and oregano in a blender. Puree until smooth. Refrigerate sofrito until ready to use.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook 2 tablespoons sofrito until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce and 1/2 the sazon; cook and stir until incorporated, about 3 minutes. Add beef, Cook and stir the picadillo (meat mixture) until flavors combine, about 25 minutes.
- Rinse the grated yuca in a colander; press yuca to squeeze out most of the moisture. Place in a bowl; add the remaining sazon, egg, and chicken broth. Mix well. Season the masa (dough) with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch baking pan.
- Spoon 1/2 of the yuca masa into the prepared pan in an even layer. Top with the picadillo; spread to 1/4 inch from the edges. Spread the remaining masa smoothly on top. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use ground pork instead of beef.
- The Cubanelle pepper can be replaced with another green bell pepper.
- Use more red bell peppers in place of aji dulces if desired.
- Instead of cilantro, you can use 5 to 10 recao leaves.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of sofrito. The actual amount of sofrito consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 313 calories; 11.8 g fat; 43 g carbohydrates; 12.1 g protein; 41 mg cholesterol; 1777 mg sodium. Full nutrition