Ingredients3 h 25 m servings 83
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the shortening, sugar and salt; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the cooled milk mixture, 2 eggs, and two cups of flour; stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Deflate dough and let rise until doubled again, about 45 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Per Serving: 83 calories; 6 6.2 1.5 20 247 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 36
awesome- reliable & delicious. my family finally approves of the bread i made, lol (i.e., not wheat or sourdough or rye- actual white bread.) as fine a white loaf as i've ever tasted, & foolproo...
This bread bakes wonderfully. I substituted all-purpose flour for some of the bread flour, and I didn't use all of the flour called for (2 1/2 cups bread flour, about 3 cups all purpose). If you...
O M G! I'm not really a fan of 'white' bread but made this thinking to use it for homemade Panko bread crumbs. Well, I ended up eating the bread! Yum YUM! I did 1/2 the recipe and used lard vs s...
Thank you SO much!! I love baking but bread has always been my nemesis, I could create Italian and Spanish inspired wonders but the secret to regular bread had eluded me for nearly a year. This...
Absolutely the best bread recipe I have ever tried. I did use butter instead of shortening. I did make rolls instead of a loaf...they melted in my mouth. I will throw away all my old bread re...
Since the weather is starting to cool off, I got a wild idea that it was time to try my hand at baking bread. All I can say is WOW! I am apparently a fabulous baker...or more accurately this rec...