Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 145 cals
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving bacon grease, crumble and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine sauerkraut, onion powder, crumbled bacon and bacon grease. Stir well; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together 3 eggs, half-and-half, salt, milk and 1/4 cup butter with electric mixer. Stir in flour to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest 5 minutes in a warm place. Grease hands and dough with butter, and knead on a floured surface 10 minutes. Divide dough into 4 sections, and grease each with butter to prevent drying out.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter; beat remaining egg, combine egg and butter, and set aside. Roll out a section of dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out 4 inch circles with round cutter or glass. Place one tablespoon sauerkraut filling in the center of each circle, brush the edges of the circle with the butter and egg mixture, fold in half and press edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining sections of dough.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pierogi for 5 minutes, or until they float to the top.
Per Serving: 145 calories; 6 g fat; 18.8 g carbohydrates; 3.9 g protein; 36 mg cholesterol; 220 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
I hate pierogi. I don't know what compelled me to make this recipe. I figured I would try it, maybe it would be good for pierogi. Turns out it was good in general! I will now call these 'fun lit...
I used to eat the store-bought, but I can make a large batch of these, freeze them, and save $$$
I filled them with mashed potatoes and cheese. Delicious both ways!
My grandma fills hers with all sort of different fillings. She also uses a cottage cheese gravy or white gravy over them. YUMMY!!!
I added mashed potatoes to the filling and I am very glad I did. So good you could eat that just as a side dish. The dough I followed the recipe word for word, it took 2 hours to complete, the 5...
These are very good rendition of Slovak Pirohy! My grandmother is from Czech Republic, so Pirohy are not native to her but her cousin married a Slovak(big scandal in the family) and would serve...