Chinese New Year Sweet Rice
Ingredients3 h servings 665 cals
- Place the jasmine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and let stand at least 1 hour, until the water has been absorbed. Transfer to a steamer basket and fluff with a fork. Steam 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl with enough hot water to cover. Soak 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, remove stems, and slice.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, salt, sugar, and red wine. Place mushrooms in the bowl, and marinate at least 15 minutes.
- In the steamer basket, steam the mushrooms and Chinese-style sausage 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and chop.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok over high heat. Toss in the shrimp and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until nearly opaque. Stir in the mushrooms, Chinese-style sausage, pork sausage, green onion, and water chestnuts. Cook and stir about 2 minutes. Mix in the rice and remaining oyster sauce. Cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in the peas. Serve when the peas are heated through.
Per Serving: 665 calories; 16.9 g fat; 100.9 g carbohydrates; 31.8 g protein; 98 mg cholesterol; 1145 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I think there is an error in the first ingredient of this recipe. Chinese Sweet Rice is always made with a short-grain rice called glutinous rice (aka sweet rice or sticky rice). Jasmine rice ...
In reference to the first review: It is your assumption that the author is referring to "sticky rice". However, the phrase "sweet rice" is also applied to Jasmine rice because it is named after...