Jian Bing (Chinese Crepes)
Ingredients20 m servings 220 cals
- Whisk together millet flour, soy milk, and vegetable oil in a bowl to make a batter the consistency of heavy cream. Add a teaspoon of water to thin the batter, if necessary.
- Mash the black bean sauce in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon of water to make it easy to spread. In a separate small bowl, mix the hot chili sauce with 1 teaspoon of water. Set the sauces aside.
- Spray a large skillet generously with cooking spray, and heat over medium-low heat. Pour the batter into the skillet, and spread evenly to make a thin crepe. Cook the crepe for 1 to 2 minutes, until firm. Pour the egg evenly over the crepe. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes, until the egg is set. Sprinkle the crepe with green onion slices and cilantro leaves, pressing them firmly into the cooked egg.
- Flip the crepe and spread with bean sauce and chili sauce. Place the crackers in the center of the crepe, leaving about 1/4 inch of space between the two crackers. Flip the top third of the crepe down over the crackers, flip the bottom third up, and then fold the crepe in half so the crackers are stacked on top of each other in a tidy package. Serve hot.
- Editor's Notes
- For the crunchy filling, use any kind of savory cracker, a piece of crisp fried wonton skin, or a piece of fried pork rind.
- You can substitute all-purpose flour for millet flour, and regular milk for soy milk.
Per Serving: 220 calories; 11.2 g fat; 20.1 g carbohydrates; 10.1 g protein; 186 mg cholesterol; 266 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
I have more of a question than a review: Does anyone know what the Chinese make the crispy dough with? Or how they make it? That was the best part of the crepe for me and I'm curious to try it. ...
This was very good! The only thing I would change about this recipe is to increase the amount of batter and use 1.5 times as much as directed, and add chopped preserved mustard tubers since all...
Thank you for the recipe, i have looking for one like this for long time. this is great!
OMG I have been looking for a recipe like this for a long time. This is one of my favorite street foods at home. Thank you so much for this recipe. You are a Godsend!