Filet Mignon with Bell Pepper Haystack and Fresh Guacamole Served with Corn Chips
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 1646
- Stir the avocado, roma tomatoes, minced shallot, jalapeno pepper, and lemon juice in a bowl. Chill in refrigerator to allow flavors to meld.
- Place the chicken stock in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; simmer the stock until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Heat 1/4 cup corn oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook the red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper in the hot oil until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir the mushrooms into the peppers; season with the coriander seeds, sea salt, and black pepper. Add the reduced chicken stock and the water; cook and stir until the moisture has been absorbed, another 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a plate lined with paper towels to allow the grease to drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir the sliced shallots in the hot oil until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the crushed garlic and cook another 3 minutes. Pour 3 1/2 cups water over the mixture and bring to a boil; cook at a boil until the liquid reduces to 1 cup. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and return the strained liquid to the saucepan, keeping it over medium heat. Add the white wine vinegar and return to a boil; continue cooking at a boil until the liquid reduced to about 1/4 cup. Quickly whisk in the chilled butter until just melted, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and keep warm while you prepare the steaks.
- Place a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and allow get hot. Heat the oil in the skillet. Cook the steaks in the hot oil until they start to firm, and are reddish-pink and juicy in the center, about 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C). Cover the meat with two layers of aluminum foil and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes.
- Place a mound of the bell pepper mixture into the center of each serving plate. Slice the rested steaks in half and place atop each mound. Spoon a few spoonfuls of the butter mixture onto the plate to surround the stack. Serve with the chilled guacamole and corn chips.
Per Serving: 1646 calories; 113.2 105 63.5 166 1074 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I fixed this for dinner last night and it was absolutely delicious. I halved the recipe and the only subs I used were sliced baby bella schrooms and I used olive oil spray for the oils. I foll...
I followed the recipe loosely, using boneless chicken breasts instead of filet mignon as I felt it was a better fit - I prefer my filet with salt, pepper and little else. (Ok, maybe a dab of bu...
The green peppers were so good that we are going to start cooking them with other meals too. We didn't have shallots so we substituted with onion using half a medium onion in the dip which turne...