Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 530
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- To Make Crust: In a medium bowl, combine the 2 1/2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in shortening until coarse crumbs form. Stir in water, vinegar and 1 egg. Form dough into ball and roll out into 2 1/8 inch thick rounds. Use one to cover the bottom and sides of a ten-inch pie pan.
- To Make Filling: In a large bowl, beat remaining eggs until thick and light. Combine flour, sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Fold into the eggs. Stir in butter and orange juice until the mixture is smooth. Fold in rhubarb. Pour into pie shell; cover top of pie with remaining pie shell. Crimp edges together and cut slits in top shell.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).Continue baking the pie at this temperature for 35 more minutes.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 530 calories; 25.2 72 6.3 81 336 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 13
This pie is as good cold as it is warm. Instead of a two crust pie, I made it a single crust and made a tent of foil for over the top. Half way through the baking I removed it. It is a good thin...
This pie was good, but what really impressed me and everyone else was the pastry itself. I have NEVER been able to make good flakey crusts, and this one was excellent! Made according to directio...
I had misplaced my recipe, which was my grandmother's, from the 1930s. How delighted to find it here, as my daughter just asked for it. I often just make the filling as a pudding, and we all rea...
I used this crust recipe for anothe pie. Pie tasted delish, crust did stick to the bottom of the pie plate but that could be my error in greasing the plate I suppose. Had no complaints on the ...
Fantastic! I used half sour cream and half plain yogurt to cut the fat down. I served this cold out of the fridge with sweetened heavy cream. My husband hates rhubarb. But he really liked this p...
I only used the recipe for making a pie crust for a different sort of pie - it was wonderful! I had no experience making pies, but it turned out lovely.
This pie is awesome. What really makes it is the crust. I have been trying for years to make my grandma's pie crust... Now, I think I've got it! I made a blueberry and mixed berry pie with this ...