Ingredients30 m servings 167
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; stir in onions and bay leaves, and cook about 5 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Add flour, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, turmeric, and Indian chili powder. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour the water into the pan, and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom with a wooden spoon. Pour in the tomato puree and thin with additional water to desired consistency. Add sugar and salt; cook until sugar is dissolved and soup is hot, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and serve with cream if desired.
- Cook's Note
- Substitute 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for 1 tablespoon of Indian chili powder.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 167 calories; 10 18 3 18 627 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
I would have given this 3 stars; my Indian husband would have given it 5. Be careful adding salt...some tomato sauces have salt added already. I used half the sugar and chili powder (I buy cp ...
Easy and fast to prepare, delicious results. I substituted a bit of minced ginger and crushed garlic since I didn't have the paste. I used home-canned crushed tomatoes, but if you prefer a smo...
Very Good soup. I'm not a huge fan of minimally cooked tomatoes, but this was good and very easy to prepare.
I wanted something special for new years eve, found it! Thanks njmom for this recipe. You should patent this recipe before some big time restaurant gets a taste of it! Seriously, a keeper...
I've been sick all week with sinusitis and unable to taste anything well. I thought this would be just the thing to loosen things up. This is delicious! I didn't have Indian chili powder so I...
This is good, but I really like the Thai version of this http://trialbyfirewin.blogspot.com/2012/01/thai-spiced-tomato-soup.html
I used some ginger and garlic separately as I didnt have ginger garlic paste. I also used regular chili powder. I didn't have a can of whole tomatoes, so I crushed them with a hand blender. Work...
This is quite something (I've modded with a mix of coconut milk/heavy cream). Also fresh cilantro that I needed to use up. I plan to make a batch of this and add cream before microwaving. Nee...