Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients35 m servings 289
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 doughnuts)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs, Herman starter and milk. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Stir flour mixture into the starter mixture until well blended.
- Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and roll out or flatten to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out doughnuts with a doughnut cutter. Cover the donuts and let them rise for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Carefully slide doughnuts into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve hot.
- Editor's Notes:
- Get the recipe for Herman Sourdough Starter.
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 289 calories; 19.1 26.1 3.5 32 218 Full nutrition
How much yeast is in a package of yeast?
Can I freeze dough and then bake it later?
I want my bread loaves to have a thicker crust. What can I do?
Ask Your Question
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I have made these many times, but I substitute the milk with buttermilk and add about 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon to the mix. It comes out so good, my family begs me to make them.