Ingredients50 m servings 302 cals
- Heat deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in warm water.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks, Herman sourdough starter, buttermilk, vanilla extract, applesauce and dissolved baking soda. Mix together cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and flour. Stir flour mixture into the wet ingredients until smooth.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut out the doughnuts and let stand for 10 minutes before frying.
- Heat deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Carefully slide doughnuts into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
- Editor's Notes:
- Get the recipe for Herman Sourdough Starter.
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 302 calories; 17.9 g fat; 32 g carbohydrates; 3.6 g protein; 34 mg cholesterol; 121 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
these had great flavor. I live in town famous for its apples and they sell apple cider donuts. these tasted just like them. However, they soaked up a lot of the grease and they were a little dry...
The texture of this doughnut is much crispier than the cake doughnuts I have made before. The sourdough and applesauce flavors are subtle. I was hoping for a richer flavor and was a little disap...