Ingredients2 h 10 m servings 659
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs and 1 cup of sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the egg mixture. Then, stir in the dates, walnuts and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool on the pan on a wire rack. When the cake is cooled, break into bite sized pieces. Stir the cake pieces together with the oranges, bananas and remaining sugar. Press into a medium sized bowl and chill for several hours.
- Invert cake onto a serving plate. Whip the heavy cream with the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until stiff. Spread over the entire cake.
- Cook's Note:
- My mom got this recipe from an old high school friend, Myrna. I hadn't been able to find it anywhere else. It's really delicious, and I like to think of it as pretty healthy, with all the fruit it contains. My mom says to cut the oranges into about 5 pieces per slice, and don't chop the bananas too small--make them chunky. Enjoy!
Per Serving: 659 calories; 34.6 84.5 9.6 175 195 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I always called this recipe "Deep Dark Secret." I have been making this recipe for almost 60 years and have won the best dessert prize three years in a row at Christmas parties at work. One re...
Fun to make, good to eat, great to share with friends. Used the recipe as is, and turned out great! Could probably cut back a little on the sugar in the cake batter, though.