Ingredients35 m servings 280
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter. cook over medium heat until melted. Add currants, candied peel, nutmeg and allspice. Continue to cook until heated through. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut into 4 inch rounds. Place a small spoonful of filling onto center of each pastry circle, draw the edges together over the fruit and pinch to seal. Turn over, then press gently with a rolling pin to flatten the cakes.
- Make a small hole or 2 small slash marks in the center of each pastry. Brush with beaten egg white, and sprinkle with sugar. Arrange on cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges.
Per Serving: 280 calories; 11 41.5 2.5 5 199 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I actually haven't tried this recipe yet, I just wanted to know if the submitter could please comment and say what the recipe is for the pastry? This sounds like a recipe my grandmother used to ...
I use puff pastry. I buy a package of frozen puff pastry and it works a treat. Also I use brown sugar not white.
I made 2 changes. I omitted the peel (I don't like it) and I made them smaller so it would make more. They turned out really well. Just like I remember them growing up. My husband loved them. ...
Use store bought puff pastry. I use water to brush the tops before sprinkling with sugar, and make sure you seal them well on the underside. The sugar in the currant mixture will melt and cara...