Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 717
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, fry the bacon for 15 minutes, or until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels but leave the grease in the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the onions and saute in the bacon grease for about 15 minutes, or until translucent and tender. Stir in the wine and the thyme and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add the salt and ground black pepper.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Then pour in the beef stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes. Crumble the bacon, reserve 4 tablespoons and add the rest to the soup.
- Place 1 tablespoon of sherry into each of 4 individual oven-safe bowls. Lay a slice of bread into each bowl, then ladle the soup into each bowl. Top with the cheese and sprinkle with the remaining bacon.
- Place in the oven and broil for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. (Note: Be careful when removing the bowls as they will be hot.)
Per Serving: 717 calories; 37.7 57.7 30.1 70 2756 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
My gang is in love with "Liberty Onion Soup" so I enjoy trying different versions. Being that no one reviewed this recipe I decided to give it a try. I just hate to see lonely recipes. Maybe the...
This has the potential to be a really good french onion soup but the recipe as written needs some changes. 1. I would recommend using half the amount of onions called for. After cutting the reci...
My husband and I made this soup and it was EXCELLENT. He picked the recipe out - which wouldn't have been my first choice based on only 2 reviews but I think he picked it for the bacon. It was...
I've never made french onion soup before this, so this was my very first time. I'd saved this recipe ages ago and finally decided to make it. It was a HUGE hit! I cut back a little bit on the ...