Scotto Sunday Sauce with Meatballs
"Flavorful meatballs made with beef, onion and diced Pepperidge Farm® Texas Toast are simmered in Prego® Italian Sauce with a dash of crushed red pepper and basil. Serve with your favorite pasta and garnish with fresh basil leaves. For dessert, serve assorted seasonal fruits mixed with honey, lemon and walnuts."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 1263 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings (12 meatballs)
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium heat. Add 2 cups onions and the garlic and cook until the onion is tender. Stir the sauce, basil and red pepper in the saucepot. Remove the saucepot from the heat.
- Place the bread into a large bowl. Pour the milk over the bread. Stir and press the bread into the milk to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef, remaining onions, eggs and cheese to the bread mixture. Mix the beef mixture thoroughly and shape firmly into 12 (3-inch) meatballs. Place the meatballs onto a baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs in batches and cook until they're well browned.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce mixture. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve with additional Texas Toast or Garlic Bread, if desired.
Per Serving: 1263 calories; 76.9 g fat; 94.7 g carbohydrates; 46.3 g protein; 222 mg cholesterol; 2189 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1