Ingredients1 h 13 m servings 571
- For Chocolate Espresso Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line two 9-inch-round baking pans with wax paper.
- Microwave small chocolate pieces in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on High (100%) power for 45 seconds; stir. If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat brown sugar, butter, eggs, instant coffee and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl for 3 minutes. Gradually add melted chocolate and continue beating for an additional minute. Beat flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 33 to 38 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges of cakes. Invert onto wire racks; remove wax paper. Cool completely.
- Brush Coffee Glaze over cake layers. Spread Mocha Buttercream Frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- For Coffee Glaze: Microwave granulated sugar, water and instant coffee in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on High (100%) power for 30 seconds. Stir until sugar and coffee are dissolved.
- For Mocha Buttercream Frosting: Microwave small chocolate pieces in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on High (100%) power for 45 seconds; stir. If pieces retain some of their original shape, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Dissolve instant coffee in milk in glass measure. Beat butter, vanilla extract and salt in large mixer bowl for 3 minutes. Beat in melted chocolate until blended, scraping occasionally. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in coffee mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired spreading consistency.
Per Serving: 571 calories; 29.7 74.8 5.1 111 374 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
Got such a beautiful cake out of this recipe. It came out very moist, and the glaze, I believe, helps when spreading the frosting on the cake, making it less crumbly. A nice change from basic ...
Absolutley delicious! The cake was moist and flavorful. I made half of the recipe and made cupcakes which made 18 cupcakes. I piped the frosting on top using a startip and topped it with a dark ...
This cake was good, but not extremely moist. It recieved rave reviews at the party which I served it at, however I think it was mostly due to the frosting, which was delicious. In the furture I ...
I made this cake for my husband's graduation and it was a hit. There are several steps involved to infuse the cake with its mocha taste. It's worth the time!
So rich and delicious. I brought this cake to work, it was so moist and the buttercream frosting is to die for. The frosting is velvetty, and melts in your mouth. I will be making this cake fo...
This was delicious and a big hit for a birthday request. Very moist and lots of coffee flavor! I will use this again and recommend to anyone. Very easy to make and everyone raved about it.
This was the first cake I have ever made from scratch, and I'm so happy to report that it turned out very nicely! I followed the recipe exactly, and the only reason that I didn't give it 5 star...
I just finished making this for my mother's 60th b-day and it is fabulous! (I'm eating the part I trimmed off the top with extra icing). It's a lot of work for a cake but for such a special occa...