Ingredients5 h servings 286 cals
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch cake pan or springform pan.
- Cream the 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup white sugar until smooth. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon ground ginger. Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar and stir until combined, forming a stiff dough.
- Pat the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the shortcake is firm and pale golden on top. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for ten minutes, and then remove it from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate. Combine the confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup butter, golden syrup and 1 teaspoon ginger in a saucepan; heat over medium-low heat until the butter and sugar have melted. Pour the warm glaze over the shortcake and refrigerate the cake to set the glaze. When cool, cut the cake into 8 wedges.
- Editor's Note
- Golden syrup is a sugar cane syrup that can be found in some supermarkets and specialty stores. Light corn syrup may be used as a substitute.
Per Serving: 286 calories; 17.5 g fat; 30.4 g carbohydrates; 2.6 g protein; 46 mg cholesterol; 186 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Wow! I just tried this recipe, and my roomie and I absolutely LOVED it. I did make a few adjustments, however. I substituted 2 tbsp of corn starch for some of the flour to make it fluffier and l...
This shortcake is fabulous. Easy, quick, and delicious. I had to add about 2-3 Tablespoons of milk to mine before it was even close to a "firm dough", but I am not known to be a precise measurer...
This is what shortcake should be! I love that little bit of ginger spark. Used this for strawberry shortcake. YUUUUUMY!
Tasty but recipe has issues. Either it needs more liquid to make it a "firm dough" Or it needs to be changed to something that specifies it is not a dough but more of a graham cracker crust co...