Ingredients1 d 1 h 30 m servings 454
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Pour in wheat and allow to boil 40 minutes. As wheat is cooking, beat eggs in a large bowl while gradually adding 1 cup sugar to eggs. Mix in fruit, ricotta, vanilla extract, cinnamon, lemon rind, and orange rind.
- When wheat is ready, drain in a colander and rinse with warm water. Place 3/4 cup of cooked wheat in a small bowl, and mix in shortening and salt. Stir until shortening is melted, then stir wheat mixture into ricotta mixture along with the rest of the cooked wheat berries.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Line two 9 inch pie pans with pastry. Cut remaining pastry into strips for tops of pies. Spoon half of filling into each pan. Cover with pastry strips to form lattice tops. Crimp edges.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle each pie with 1 tablespoon sugar and allow to cool at room temperature. Chill overnight before serving. Store any leftovers in refrigerator.
Per Serving: 454 calories; 23.3 51.7 10.6 92 441 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
My sister and I thought we lost my grandmother's recipe when she died only to find it here. I did not add the candied fruit and baked it in a larger spring form pan for 1 hr. It was perfect!
I made this pie with a few changes. I used a frozen deep dish pie crust with no top, cooked pearl barley instead of wheat berries and added roasted pine nuts to the mix. I also cooked it a litt...
So glad to see this recipe which is very similar to my grandmother's who was from Naples, Italy. The only thing different that she used to add was chocolate chips. It was her own personal pref...
This is really an excellent recipe. I used a 9" deep dish pan, and it was the perfect amount.
A big tradition in a Neapolitan house. Expensive if you can find it in the bakery. The first time I ever had Easter "wheat pie" I had no idea of how to make it or how to prepare the wheat berri...
Thank you for sharing this recipe. My Mom has a very intense, all day cooking version which is Out of this world, but I don't have all that time. This sounds very close to my Moms version. Mo...
My stepdad always longs for Grain Pie for Easter but the high prices and long lines from the stores made me search for an option. This recipe was a great choice. He loved the pie and especially...
I am also one who did not have a recipe for this dish I grew up with. Last Easter, I wanted to make it for my friends and I stumbled upon this recipe, which may even be better then my grandmoth...