Ingredients12 h 45 m servings 345 cals
- Season the venison with salt and pepper, and place into a bowl. Stir in the kiwi slices and red wine until evenly mixed. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Drain the venison, reserving the red wine marinade. Pick out the pieces of kiwi from the venison, and place them with the red wine marinade. Squeeze as much marinade from the venison as you can.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat. Place the floured venison cubes in the hot oil, and cook until browned on all sides, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the venison cubes to a slow cooker. Stir the garlic, onion, rosemary, and thyme into the skillet, and cook until the edges of the onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Pour in the balsamic vinegar and the reserved red wine marinade. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Pour the onion mixture into the slow cooker, and stir in the beef stock, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and mushrooms until evenly mixed. Add water if needed to just cover the vegetables.
- Cover the slow cooker, and set to LOW. Cook until the venison is easily pulled apart with a fork and the vegetables are tender, about 4 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup.
Per Serving: 345 calories; 6.3 g fat; 35.9 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 86 mg cholesterol; 54 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I'm cooking this recipe right now on the stove top in my cast iron dutch oven; it's not ready yet, but looks and smells delightful. I wasn't sure how much Balsamic vinegar to use - I'm using les...
Havent tried it, but am going to. But a quick question...I have heard that you need to let the venison "sit" in vinegar or lemon juice to get the "odor" out before you prepare it. Would that b...
just answering the person asking about sitting the venison in vinegar. the vinegar trick is to take the "game" taste out of venison. you add salt to take some of the blood out which is where the...