Black Bottom Pie IV
Ingredients6 h 55 m servings 516 cals
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10-inch pie pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cookie crumbs and softened butter. Press firmly into pie pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks. Bring milk to a simmer in top of a double boiler. Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of milk into egg yolk mixture, then gradually whisk egg yolk mixture into remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat back of spoon. Remove from heat.
- Transfer 1 1/4 cups of hot egg yolk mixture to a small bowl and add unsweetened chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted. Allow to cool slightly, then mix in vanilla extract. Pour chocolate mixture into cooled pie crust. Place in refrigerator.
- Combine gelatin with cold water and set aside to soften 5 minutes. Add to remaining egg yolk mixture, stirring well. Allow to cool, then stir in rum.
- In a large glass or metal bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled gelatin mixture. Spoon over chocolate layer.
- In a medium bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Spread over top of pie. Sprinkle with grated chocolate. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Per Serving: 516 calories; 32.9 g fat; 48.3 g carbohydrates; 8.4 g protein; 179 mg cholesterol; 359 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This is without a doubt the BEST black bottom pie I have ever made or had! The only problem is that I didn't make two - one just goes too fast!!
This pie is so good. My son-in-law loves this pie. It only gets baked when I go to visit.
This was the first time I've made Black Bottom Pie of any sort but am a fairly accomplished baker so I was very much looking forward to making and tasting this recipe. Of the recipes I saw this ...