Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 d 3 h 7 m servings 250
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 9-inch pie)
- Put quartered figs into a bowl and pour in enough water to cover them completely. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator to soak for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, pour figs and soaking water into a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 2 1/2 hours, adding more water as necessary to prevent figs from becoming dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To Make Fig Filling: In a small bowl, combine 2 beaten eggs, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Blend together. Gradually pour hot fig mixture into beaten eggs, whisking constantly. Return filling mixture to saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Pour fig filling into baked pie shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a medium mixing bowl, beat 3 egg whites until foamy. Continue to beat while adding 1/4 cup sugar one tablespoon at a time, until whites form stiff peaks. Spread over fig filling, sealing completely to edge of crust.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 10 to 12 minutes, until meringue is browned.
Per Serving: 250 calories; 6.9 45.2 4.9 46 218 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
If you like figs, have a lot of figs, then this is a great recipe. Having an over-burdened fig tree, I used fresh figs instead of dried. Substitute in 1.5kg of fresh figs. The big danger is t...